In order to register a death, you must, within seven days of the person’s date of death or finding the dead person, submit an application to the Vital Statistics Department.
To submit an application:
Where to start
The basis of compiling a death entry in the population register is an application previously filled in by an official.
In order to register a death, you need to submit:
- identity documents evidencing the applicant’s person;
- medical death notice;
- identity document for the dead person (passport, ID-card);
- in case of a spouse’s death, the marriage certificate if the marriage details have not been entered into the population register of Estonia.
A foreign document (marriage document issued in a foreign country) must be legalised or with a confirmed apostille, unless the international agreement states otherwise.
Document in a foreign language must be translated into Estonian, Russian or English and the translation must be confirmed by a notary, consular officer or sworn translator.
Upon registering a death, the documents evidencing the dead person’s identity shall be kept at the Vital Statistics Department. If the document has been issued in Estonia, the Vital Statistics Department shall forward it to the Police and Border Guard Board. If it was issued abroad, it shall be sent to the respective embassy.
Have an identity document with you.
What to do with the form
Tell our official orally that you wish to register the person's death and also submit the medical death certificate or the judgment declaring the death of the person and the identity documents of the deceased (the passport, ID-card and in case of the spouse’s death also the marriage certificate).
Based on the composed death registration we will issue the death certificate.
What to do when the result is unsatisfactory:
To achieve the result follow our instructions.
Vital Statistics Department
|Address:||Pärnu mnt 67|
|M||(08:15 - 18:00)|
|Tu||(13:00 - 17:00)|
|W||(08:15 - 17:00)|
|Th||(08:15 - 17:00)|
|F||(08:15 - 13:00)|
- Perekonnaseisutoimingute seadus
- Perekonnaseisuasutusele esitatavate avalduste, paberil tehtavate perekonnaseisukannete ja perekonnaseisuandmete väljavõtete vormid, abieluvõimetõendile kantavad andmed ning mitmekeelses väljavõttes kasutatavate keelte loetelu
- Perekonnaseisukannete tegemise ning väljatrüki edastamise ja säilitamise kord