About Tallinn City Council
Local councils are elected on the basis of the Local Government Council Election Act in free elections by general, uniform and direct vote for a term of four years. Voting is secret.
Tallinn City Council is independent in deciding the matters in the competence of the local government and acts only in the interests and the name of the citizens.
Elections to the 9th membership of the local council were held on 15th of October, 2017. City councillors were registered on 24th of October, 2017. Election results were published in the Postimees on 25th of October and the powers of the 9th membership of the local council commenced on 26st of October, 2013.
The exclusive competence of Tallinn City Council:
- To approve and to carry out amendments into the budget of Tallinn.
- To impose local taxes and to amend tax rates.
- To approve, amend and adopt the development plans.
- To elect the chairman and vice-chairman of the council.
- To elect and release the mayor of the city.
- To adopt detailed plans.
- To elect all the bodies and officials, required by the law, to be elected into the municipality concerned.
- To come up with proposals or to give opinion about the bodies established by Tallinn City Council.
- To submit proposals, to make remarks and objections regarding the agenda of a meeting, the essence of questions discussed and their sequence.
- To fulfil other functions, provided by other laws.