Becoming a guardian

A guardian is assigned to a child whose parent(s) does (do) not protect the child’s legal rights and interests. Guardianship is established by the city district government of the child’s place of residence based on the population register. The city district government identifies a suitable person as a guardian and obtains their consent to become a guardian. When establishing the guardianship, the city district government seeks and takes into account the opinions of the child and other related parties.

If an interested person has submitted an application to the court to become a guardian to a child, the city district government collects and submits the information necessary for establishing the guardianship by order of the court and provides it to the court upon request.


  • Where to start

    Contact the child protection official at the social welfare department of your place of residence. You must submit the child’s application together with documents proving the need for custody and the guardian’s state of health and income.

    For contact information, choose institution from the list:

    Personal identification

    Make sure you have an identity document with you.


    The city district government submits documents to the court along with the application of the guardian and child.

  • Providers   Service providing location