Guardianship establishment arrangement

Guardianship is organized for the raising of the child, for the protection of child's personal and financial rights and interests, if the child's parents are dead, have been declared missing or without active legal capacity or whose parents have been deprived of parental rights.

The district's child protection official determines the capabilities of the potential guardian to fulfill their duties and finds out the child's opinion.
A guardian cannot be: a minor; a person without active legal capacity or with restricted legal capacity; a person deprived of parental rights or whose child has been taken away without the deprivation of parental rights; a person exempted from the duties of a guardian or carer or a person who due to other reasons is incapable of fulfilling the duties of a guardian. The court will include the guardianship authority's opinion to child related disputes. To formulate the opinion, a district's child protection official will talk to the child, parents, and other close persons and also gathers information from other specialists, including from the kindergarten, school, medical institutions, police, etc. The opinion formulation is based on the interests of the child, taking into account the wishes of a 10 year old and a younger child, depending on the child's development level.

  • Where to start

    Contact a child protection official in your local social welfare department. Submit the documents with the child's application, confirming the need for guardianship and documents concerning the guardian's health condition and income.

    For contact information, choose institution from the list:

    Personal identification

    Have an identity document with you.

    What to do with the form

    Submit to a child protection official in your local social welfare department.


    The district administration submits the documents with the child's and guardian's applications to the court.

    What to do when the result is unsatisfactory:

    The district elder solves disputes related to the service provision. It is possible to contact the City Government or the county governor if one does not agree with the district elder's administrative legislation.

  • Providers   Service providing location