- Study the Regulation no 27 of Tallinn City Council, adopted on May 18th 2006 “Rules of street sales for trading with the sales ticket of the district administration and the prices of sales tickets”. (in Estonian)
- Contact the service provider of the district administration that regulates the area of your place of business.
In the administrative territory of Tallinn City Centre, street vending is regulated as follows:
- A seasonal extension (outdoor cafe, stand): a permanent eatery that is located on a property adjacent to a city installation, and services its outdoor cafes based on its indoor facility, has the right to install an outdoor cafe. In case of a seasonal extension, the company must enter into a city installation contract with the district (city installation application file) Street Vendor Application
- Sales counters, stands (in the Old Town sales permits are issued on the basis of competition, outside of the Old Town, generally, based on rulings). In order to start vending, it is necessary for the company to enter into a city installation contract with the district (city installation application) Street Vendor Application
- Peddling (peddling is the retail sale of goods which takes place from hand-to-hand, from a hand basket, portable table or other portable equipment owned by the seller, whereby the seller offers the goods for sale while moving on foot and stopping only to sell the goods to the buyer). The trading takes place based on a sales permit. The district government shall, if necessary, determine the conditions for the issuance of peddling permits by 1 January of each year (sales permit.fail). Application for a sales permit.
Considering the need to regulate the organisation of seasonal outdoor vending on the city installations located in the administrative territory of Tallinn City Centre based on uniform procedures and principles, the following have been approved by the district council of Tallinn City Centre:
For Your Information:
- The granting of a permit for the use of a city installation for commercial activity and the installation of fast food sales equipment (hot-dogs, burritos, hamburgers, pizzas, french fries, meat and sausage products) is prohibited in the Tallinn Old Town Heritage Conservation Area.
- The granting of the use of a city installation for commercial purposes by a motor vehicle and trailer for trading, except during public events, is not permitted.
If you wish to engage in street vending, it is expedient to contact the business sector of the Tallinn City Government by phone at 645 7226 or 645 7227, in order to clarify all the specifics – the need for approvals, the suitability of the location, etc.
LEGISLATION, APPLICATIONS, FORMS, PRINCIPLES
- Principles and procedure for organising commercial activities on a city installation (protocol-based decision of a meeting of the Tallinn City Centre District Council dated 13.03.2018, amended by the protocol-based decision of a meeting of the Tallinn City Centre District Council dated 12.02.2019).
- Principles and procedure for the use of the Town Hall Square for the seasonal extension of the points of sale (outdoor cafes) (protocol-based decision of a meeting of the Tallinn City Centre District Council dated 13.03.2018).
- Procedure for making an installation, or part thereof, that belongs to the City of Tallinn available for commercial use (Tallinn City Council Regulation no. 21, 08.04.2010 in Estonian only).
- The initial prices for pre-negotiated offers for the commercial lease of an installation belonging to the City of Tallinn, or a part thereof, and the lease amounts, if a decision is made to lease the installation (Tallinn City Government Regulation no. 4, 23.01.2013).
- Street trading procedures for trading based on a district government sales permit and the prices of the sales permit (Tallinn City Council Regulation no. 27, 18.05.2006 in Estonian only).