Cornerstone laid for Kadriorg park Orangery
Today, 4 January, the cornerstone was laid for the Kadriorg Park Economic Building (L. Koidula 34a, Tallinn). A modern building inspired by the historical orangery is under construction, part of which will be open to visitors in the future.
"The Orangery is one of the biggest investments in the development of Kadriorg Park in recent years. I am very pleased that despite the crisis, we are actively moving forward with its construction," said Vladimir Svet, Deputy Mayor of Tallinn. "The multifunctional orangery will create good conditions for growing several plant species and for showing them to people during the winter season. It will also be an economic building that will significantly improve the working conditions of the Kadriorg Park team."
Kadriorg Park is one of the best-preserved park ensembles in Estonia, and it deserves a more thorough and systematic introduction. In this unique place with a multi-layered history, it is possible to give a complete cross-section of the entire park's art, from the Baroque to the present day. Kadriorg Park was the seat of the State Parks Government, established in 1935, and later of the Nature Conservation and Tourism Institute. With the construction of a new economic building, the capital's parks expertise is once again concentrated in Kadriorg.
The Kadriorg Park Economic Building is the first center in Estonia for the exhibition of park art and the dissemination of specialist information. The building, with its modern working and teaching facilities and multi-purpose rooms, will contribute to the organization of the work of the Kadriorg Park Urban Park Authority and will also serve as an educational center introducing Estonia's historic parks, their history and development.
The new farm building will resemble the shape of a historic greenhouse complex, or orangery, the ruins of whose foundations are still in the ground. The original orangery was intended to meet the needs of the tsar's family for exotic fruits and flowers in winter. Now, a building that once belonged to the castle complex, but which has since been destroyed, is being rebuilt, but in a new sixth floor and with modern features. A winter garden will be created, with a rotating display of Japanese cherry trees and rare crimson lilies, and Estonia's first public permanent exhibition of large exotic butterflies and rhizomes will be opened. The nearest similar center is currently in Riga. In addition, a unique library will be opened to the public in the new building, bringing together Estonian and European literature on palace parks and manor houses.
The underground floor will house storage facilities to support the activities of the Kadriorg Park Municipality and to serve the park area. Kadrioru Park organizes a number of events, such as "Light Walks in Kadriorg", and the park's specialists create the decorations needed to beautify the city, for which the new premises will provide much better facilities. It also manages the maintenance and development of Kadriorg Park and other historic and naturally valuable green spaces in the capital.
The cornerstone was laid by Vladimir Svet, Deputy Mayor of Tallinn, Monika Haukanõmm, City District Governor, Ain Järve, Head of Kadriorg Park, and Jaak Lõhmus, Member of the Management Board of OÜ Montreco. The cornerstone was set into the wall of the original wall and is covered by a brick from Kadriorg Park, which was brought from St Petersburg in 1721.
The economic building complex was designed by KARISMA Arhitektid OÜ, with conceptual designs by Kai Süda and Risto Parve. The main contractor is Montreco OÜ and the owner is supervised by Keskkonnaprojekt OÜ. Construction of the building started in October 2022 and is expected to be completed by the end of this year. The main project was commissioned by the Tallinn Environment and Municipal Department, while the construction and owner supervision were procured by the Tallinn City Property Department. The total cost of the works is over €7.3 million.
Picture 1: Ain Järve put the flower of the future in a time capsule
Picture 2: Ain Järve and Vladimir Svet are laying the cornerstone
Picture 3: Vladimir Svet filled with a time capsule.
Picture 4: Placing the cornerstone in the original wall.
Picture 5: Ain Järve and Monika Haukanõmm.
Picture 6: Brick stone from St Petersburg, 1721, found during the restoration works in Kadriorg Park.
Sketches by KARISMA architects.