Skip to content
Accessibility
 °C
Search for information, services, etc.

Tallinn's participatory budgeting attracts over 3,000 voters in four days

Tallinn's participatory budgeting attracts over 3,000 voters in four days

Since the start of the participatory budgeting vote on November 20, a total of 3,031 residents have already cast their votes. The voting period remains open until December 3, offering all Tallinn residents a chance to support their favored proposals

As of last night, Lasnamäe leads with the most votes, totaling 955. Kesklinn follows with 772 votes, Haabersti with 675, Pirita with 532, Põhja-Tallinn with 506, Nõmme with 461, Mustamäe with 442, and Kristiine with 283 votes.

Mayor Mihhail Kõlvart expresses gratitude to all who have voted and invites all other Tallinn residents to take part in shaping the city's development. "The current level of engagement shows that people care deeply about their community and are eager to contribute to the development of public spaces," stated Kõlvart. "It's also crucial for the authors of the shortlisted ideas to actively promote their proposals. For this, online platforms and social networks are excellent tools, but they can also leverage the public spaces for outreach."

This year's initiative saw 492 proposals submitted, with 149 advancing to the public vote. Nõmme presents 35 choices, Kesklinn 26, Kristiine 20, Lasnamäe 18, Pirita 15, Mustamäe 13, Põhja-Tallinn 12, and Haabersti 10. Each district is set to implement at least one project that aligns with the participatory budgeting criteria and garners the most public support.

Residents over the age of 14, registered in Tallinn, are eligible to vote for up to two proposals in their district. Voting can be done online at the participatory budgeting website, at district government offices, or at the Tallinn City Office located at Vabaduse väljak 7.

A minimum participation threshold is set for each district: 500 in Kristiine, Nõmme, and Pirita; 1,000 in Haabersti, Kesklinn, Mustamäe, and Põhja-Tallinn; and 1,500 in Lasnamäe.

A budget of one million euros is allocated in the 2024 budget for the realization of this year’s selected projects, with 75% distributed equally among districts and the remaining 25% based on population figures as of July 1.

The participatory budgeting process is managed by the Tallinn Urban Environment and Public Works Department.

Further details and the voting portal are accessible at tallinn.ee/en/participatorybudget.