Skip to content

Issuing vital statistics certificates and certified copies of vital records

The electronic communication must be used instead of direct contact in vital statistics and population register proceedings. Please send the applications to our email: .


You can apply to have births, deaths and marriages certified by the Tallinn Vital Statistics Department if the event took place in Estonia after 1 July 1926. We also issue copies of vital records drawn up in vital statistics offices upon application.
For certified copies from the Tallinn or Nõmme vital statistics offices, please contact Tallinn City Archives.

For information on vital statistics events that occurred before 1 July 1926, please contact the National Archives.

Which duplicate certificates of births, deaths and marriages do we issue?

Certificates of births, deaths and marriages as well as other vital statistics events, such as divorces and changes of name.
Vital statistics certificates are issued to you if they pertain to you personally or to your underage child or a person in your guardianship.
Vital statistics certificates concerning the deceased are only issued in the event of the applicant's legitimate interest.
The applicant does not need to submit a paper certificate to the Estonian or local government if the vital statistics information pertaining to them (birth, death, marriage or divorce) has been entered in the population registry. State authorities and local government authorities and others who perform public duties must rely on the data entered in the population register and cannot request the submission of an extract on paper from the population register.

A duplicate vital statistics certificate can be issued in Estonian, English, German or French. We also issue multilingual extracts of vital records (CIEC) and multilingual standard forms.
If the vital statistics certificate is to be submitted to a foreign country, we recommend checking that country's requirements of the documents and their contents.

Certificates are issued on paper or in encrypted form (digitally).


If you wish to receive an encrypted (digital) certificate, you must be certain that you will be able to use it, as it will be in the form of a .pdf file bearing a public servant's digital signature. When printed out, it will not have the public servant's signature or stamp.