Submitting applications for design requirements
It is necessary to apply for the design requirements for the preparation of the construction project of a building requiring a building permit or a facility of significant public interest (including utility networks) if there is no obligation to prepare a detailed plan for the area.
The local government issues design requirements for the construction or erection of a building or important facility or its expansion over 33% of the original volume. Read more in subsection 125 (5) of the Planning Act.
If there is a detailed plan, the local government may, in justified cases, issue design requirements for the preparation of the construction project of a building or an important facility subject to a building permit if one or more of the following circumstances exist:
More than five years have passed since the introduction of the detailed plan
Since the introduction of the detailed plan, important new circumstances have emerged
The plan area or its area of influence has changed significantly, which is why it is no longer possible to fully implement the detailed plan
Since the establishment of the detailed plan, legislation or established plans have changed that which significantly affect the implementation of the detailed plan
Design requirements are not given:
to change the essence of the planning solution established in the detailed plan, to supplement the detailed plan that changes the general plan;
to provide additional conditions to buildings permanently connected to the shore or functionally connected to the shore in a public body of water;
to supplement the special planning of the state or local government.
Submit an application for design requirements in the building register to the Tallinn Urban Planning Department or the Tallinn Urban Environment and Public Works Department. Attach the required supplementary documents to the application, including electronic materials illustrating the planned project.
Submit an application to the Tallinn Urban Planning Department if you need design requirements:
1) for erecting, constructing or expanding a building or facility of significant public interest (for example, a stadium, golf course, music stage, motor track) over 33% of its initially planned volume (subsections 26 (1) and (2) of the Building Code);
2) in justified cases to specify the detailed plan (§ 27 of the Building Code), if:
· more than five years have passed since the introduction of the detailed plan;
· since the establishment of the detailed plan, important new circumstances have appeared or the planning area or its area of influence has changed significantly, due to which it is no longer possible to fully implement the detailed plan;
· since the establishment of the detailed plan, legislation or established plans have changed that which significantly affect the implementation of the detailed plan.
Where to start
A state fee (€25) must be paid to the account of the Tallinn City Office for reviewing the application for design requirements:
· EE311010220061053015 (AS SEB Pank), reference number 5255050050050321
· EE532200221035708677 (Swedbank AS), reference number 5255050050050321
· EE481700017001237124 (Luminor Bank), reference number 5255050050050321
· EE437700771000968905 (LHV Pank, reference number 5255050050050321
The state accounting entity records the transaction in its accounting with transaction partner code 112101. When paying, the name of the operation and the exact address must be indicated in the explanation.
If the application for design requirements is rejected and the procedure is not initiated, it is possible to request a refund of the state fee.
Submit a digitally signed application for the refund of the state fee to the e-mail address of the Tallinn Urban Planning Department at email@example.com together with a payment order proving payment of the state fee. In the application, indicate the information about the paid state fee (including the construction site’s address) and the current account to which you want the state fee to be returned.
Once the application for design conditions is digitally signed in the building register, it is automatically forwarded to the Urban Planning Department for processing. The design requirements are issued in the building register or in the form selected in the application. Design requirements are valid for five years.
When the result is unsatisfactory
If you wish to dispute the design requirements or the refusal to issue them, submit a complaint to the Tallinn Urban Planning Department within 30 days after the design requirements are issued or file a complaint with the Tallinn Halduskohus (Pärnu mnt 7, 15082 Tallinn) within the deadlines and according to the procedure provided by law.
City Planning Department