Skip to content
Search for information, services, etc.

Taani Kuninga Garden (Danish King’s Garden)

Taani Kuninga Garden (Danish King’s Garden)


A tiny plot of land right at the foot of the city wall on the south‑eastern slope of Toompea has always remained undeveloped and belonged mostly to the city.

According to an ancient legend it is the place where the national flag of Denmark, the Danne­brog, originates from. The story holds that the Danish troops were about to lose the battle on July 15, 1219 when suddenly the skies opened and a red flag with a white cross floated down from the heavens. Taking this as a holy sign, the Danes were spurred on to victory. Consequently, the rule of the Danish king was established over Tallinn and Northern Estonia to last for over 100 years.

The Danish Flag square has been created here to commemorate the legend.

The Danish king Waldemar II has presumably constructed the tower on this spot in the 13th century. The garden was later covered with the flourishing dog‑roses, mountain currants, guelder roses and other species typical to cover limestone. A public beauty garden was estab-lished there in the 19th century, being the most significant greenery of Toompea equally with Piiskopi Garden (Bishop’s Garden) and Kuberneri Garden (Governor’s Garden).

A tiny triangular plot has once been built up, but already in the middle of the 19th century it was a flat‑land serving as the grounds for the fish market. By the end of the 19th century only the function of flower and grocery market remained. In 1893 the area was no longer in use as a market spot (except for the flower trading) and was redesigned to become a tiny greenery. The chapel was constructed according to the design of Nikolai Heraskov and Nikolai Thamm jr. In 1909 to celebrate the 15th anniversary of reign of the Russian Tsar Nikolai II. Nowadays this plot serves the basis for an open‑air café area.

Last modified 23.06.2022