Tallinn district governments only collect toiletries for war refugees
Tallinners have donated large quantities of essential items to the Ukrainian war refugees through their district governments, but at the moment collection points are only accepting basic hygiene items, which are still in great need.
"I am extremely grateful to all my fellow citizens who have donated to support war refugees – it has been a tremendous help to people who have arrived here basically empty-handed. At the moment, we have enough clothes and practical goods to go around, and we have the help of a good partner, the Reuse Centre, who has allowed us to use a separate shop for this purpose," said Betina Beškina, Deputy Mayor for social welfare and health. "However, all kinds of hygiene products and new underwear and socks for children and adults are still very welcome, as they are in great demand and in constant shortage. These are currently being accepted by the collection points at the district governments."
Donations of toiletries and hygiene products for children, adolescents and adults of both sexes are anticipated to the collection points in the districts. Items like shampoos and conditioners, deodorants, sanitary towels, tampons, hand and face creams, cotton pads, cotton buds, nail wraps, nappies size 4-6, wet wipes, baby powder, disposable razors, washing soap, etc. are needed, as well as new underwear and socks for all age groups.
Toiletries are collected in each district and can be brought to the following addresses:
- Kesklinn district government (Nunne 18, weekdays 9-16)
- Mustamäe district government (E. Vilde tee 118, Monday-Thursday 8.15-17, Friday 8.15-16), see also the district government Facebook page
- Kristiine district government (Metalli 5, Monday to Friday during working hours except 13-14)
- Põhja-Tallinn Community Centre (Kari 13, Monday to Thursday 8.15-17, Friday 8.15-16)
- Salme Cultural Centre Tallinna (Salme 12, open 24/7)
- Lasnamäe district government (Pallasti 54, Monday 8.15-18, Tuesday to Thursday 8.15-17, Friday 8.15-16)
- Haabersti youth centre (Õismäe tee 24, weekdays 11-19)
- Pirita district government (Kloostri tee 6, Mondays 14-18, Tuesdays 9-12, Thursdays 9-12 and 14-16)
- Nõmme district government (Valdeku 13, Monday 8.15-18; Tuesday to Thursday 8.15-17, Friday 8.15-16)
Clothes and practical goods are available free of charge for war refugees at the Lasnamäe Uuskasutuskeskus shop (Punane 50), by presenting a Tallinn smartcard with an identity document at the cash desk. The new system was launched in cooperation between the City of Tallinn and the Reuse Centre on 22 March. The items to be distributed have been collected in the cooperation of the city organisation's staff, the city's partners, friends, the local community, businesses and all other generous donators. The refugee-only shop was also contributed by the Uuskasutuskeskus to ensure that clothing aid is available in a full range of assortments and sizes.