Tallinn Vital Statistics Department
- Work hours, reception and contact information
We recommend using electronic communication whenever possible for civil status and population activities. Please send applications by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the law does not allow marriage applications and divorce applications, as well as applications for personal ID codes, to be submitted and digitally signed by e-mail.
MONDAY 8:15am to 6pm
TUESDAY-THURSDAY 8:15am to 5pm
FRIDAY 8:15am to 4pm
MONDAY 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5:30pm
TUESDAY 1pm to 5pm
WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm
FRIDAY 9am to 1pm
Changes in Tallinn's public transport routes and timetables can be seen on the https://transport.tallinn.ee/ webpage.
Information about excavation works, temporary closure of a street or other road maintenance works taking place in the area can be found here.
Direct phone lines
- marriage proceedings (phone +372 645 7483)
- divorce proceedings (phone +372 645 7498)
- birth registration (+372 645 7488)
- death registration in special cases (phone +372 645 7496)
PLEASE NOTE! In general, death does not have to be registered at the registrar, as the obligation and right to register the death and issue the primary death certificate rests with health care providers (family doctor, hospital, ambulance, etc.). The Vital Statistics Department retains the competence to register a death only in special cases (death of a foreign citizen without a personal ID number in Estonia, death in a foreign country, etc.). Read more on the Ministry of the Interior’s website.
- name change (phone +372 645 7486)
- operations abroad (phone +372 645 7481)
- certificates, including archive (phone +372 645 7487
The Head of Department Kristi Kail
Employees who directly report to the Head of Department
Civil Registry Operations Unit
Population Procedures Department
The entire structure of the Tallinn Vital Statistics Department
Among other things, the department is tasked with:
- performing actions related to the Population Register (including making entries to change residence data and correcting and changing data)
- performing civil status actions (including marriage registration, divorce, birth registration, death registration and changing gender data)
- making legal changes to names and making decisions on new names
- organising formal ceremonies for the conclusion of marriage
- providing extracts of marital status data and copies of marital status documents (including issuing certificates of marital capacity, data of documents reflecting a change in family and name law and data based on legitimate interest)
- forming ID codes
- arranging the payment of Tallinn's birth allowance
- presenting statistics on changes in the number of inhabitants of Tallinn
Information about the services provided by the Tallinn Vital Statistics Department can be found in the service database.
- Salary details
Salary details are published on the webpage on Public Administration.
- Public Procurements
Public procurements of the Tallinn Vital Statistics Department are published in the Public Procurements Register.
Legislations, useful information, frequently asked questions and user manuals of the public procurement register related to organising public procurements can be found on the Ministry of Finance website.
Tallinn Procurement Procedure
Tallinn Vital Statistics Department Procurement Plan 2023
Procurement Plan 2022
Procurement Plan 2021
Procurement Plan 2020
Procurement Plan 2019
Procurement Plan 2018
- Job advertisements
See all active job advertisements in the city of Tallinn.
Students who are at least in their second year of study at an educational institution registered in the Republic of Estonia are eligible for an internship. The purpose of the internship is to give the student the opportunity to gain work experience in a local government department.
In order to take part in the internship, the following must be submitted:
- application for internship (DOC file)
- your educational institution’s internship guide
- academic statement
- CV (the following form can also be used (DOC file))
The intern is accepted for internship during the calendar year in agreement with the Head of the Department or a person appointed by them, taking into account the possibilities the department can offer. Information about the possibilities and conditions of participating in an internship and the number of interns accepted for internship at the Department during the calendar year will be published on the Tallinn website and intranet on an ongoing basis according to the possibilities and vacant internship positions.
See also available internships in other departments of the city
- Procedural Restrictions
Information about activities and decisions for which procedural restrictions are not applied is published here (§ 11 subsection 3 clauses 4, 5 and 7 of the Anti-Corruption Act). Procedural restrictions will not be applied and a notice must be published:
- if the replacement of an official is not possible as a person meeting the requirements for the replacement could not be found;
- in regards to actions or decisions with which the institution performing a public task ensures the organisation of its work, with the exception of service-related decisions;
- in a city institution if, taking into account the specificities of the local government unit, the application of the procedural restrictions would be unreasonable from the point of view of public interest.
Tallinn Vital Statistics Department Statute
Archives and Population Operations Department Statute (DOC file)
Family Status Operations Department Statute (DOC file)
The procedure for using the video surveillance system of the Tallinn Vital Statistics Department at Pärnu mnt