Maarjamäe memorial (Maria’s Hill Memorial)
The authors of the idea of Maarjamäe Memorial are an architect Allan Murdmaa and a sculptor Matti Varik (the winning design of the architectural competition of 1965). The authors of the design project are the architects Valve Pormeister, Allan Murdmaa and Henno Sepmann. The complex was completed in 1975. A grandiose composition is based on two crossing axes, formed by the ceremonial roads deepened into the ground. The axis crossing the Pirita Road widens up at the sea side to become a ceremonial parade square with tribune, where a wide panorama sea‑view across the Tallinn bay opens up. At the edge of it one can also see the so‑called ice‑raid obelisk (an architect Mart Port, relief by a sculptor Lembit Tolli), which adds a vertical accent to the complex. It is also the place where the eternal flame was previously located. The hollows on its back wall picture the human palms warming at the flame. The second axis passes through the pylon‑gate with a sculpture of wounded birds over it and discharges into a dark so‑called memorial fir‑grove. The dolomite, used as all‑round material, and large grassy inclined planes add to the dignity of the place. The extension of the memorial planned against the Lasnamäe (Bald Hill) cliff remained unaccomplished. The memorial complex is dedicated to those who fell for the Soviet rule. At the side of the Lasnamäe cliff there is a partially restored German military cemetery which was destroyed in the Soviet times. There is a memorial square (located at the Pirita Road) with three crosses carved in stone dedicated to those who fought against the soviet troops in 1944.
Maarjamäe Memorial is one of the most mighty pieces of landscape architecture in Estonia.