Stroomi Beach Park
In1935−1938 a two-storied beach building including the Pelguranna restaurant was completed at the Stroomi beach. A 100 metres long swimming bridge, music pavilion, changing rooms, kiosks, swings etc. were constructed on the initiative of the Pelgulinna Beach Maintenance and Decoration Society. In 1950 the beach building was burned down to ashes. A new beach building has been built up within the reconditioning and development project. The beach was reconditioned, the greenery renewed, the walking and cycling paths as well as the lawns were constructed on the initiative of the Põhja‑Tallinn Authorities. Stroomi Beach Park is equipped with benches, trash bins and barbeque spots, as well as walking and cycling paths, numerous playgrounds, sporting and training facilities. The beach building, life-boat station, beach facilities rental and public catering facilities are also located within the park area. The name Stroomi originates from the name of the owner of Stroomi pub previously located near Paldiski Road − Mr Bengt Fromhold Strohm − once there existed a road leading from the pub to the beach. Yet, it has another name as well − Merimetsa wood − which originates from Merimetsa summer manor which used to be near Paldiski Road. One of the first images of this area can be found on the map of 1688 by Samuel Waxelberg, where the region is depicted mostly as a grassland. There must have been natural trees and bushes as well. The dampness of the area taken into consideration, willow groves and birch stands (on the higher and drier spots) must have existed.
The construction of the avenues leading from the Seewaldi and Dehni summer manors to the north‑western coast (most probably in some places the beach was already in use for swimming) in the 19th century appeared to be the turning point in the history of present‑day Stroomi forestland. The creation of Seewaldi Park is believed to have started in the early 19th century as well. As the process of forestation of dunes and sandy areas of Tallinn began in the 19th century, Stroomi forestland could have experienced the same changes.