14.09.2020

Tallinn cancels light festival to prevent coronavirus spread

Tallinn City Government has decided to cancel the 15th Wanderning Lights (Valgus kõnnib 2020) light festival that would have started September 16.

"The light festival is a popular and much-awaited yearly event; spectators at the festival numbered around 20,000 last year. Unfortunately, with such large crowds we won't be able to ensure the safe dispersion of people at the event, during their journey to Kadriorg by public transport or back home afterwards," said the deputy mayor Kalle Klandorf.

The deputy mayor noted that it is unthinkable that the city’s employees would take peoples temperature or check their health status on the streets. „Sadly we can not guarantee that all participating are healthy. That is why, with a heavy heart, we have decided to cancel one of the main events taking place in the Kadriorg Park this year, but we do hope that the spread of the COVID-19 has reduced next year and we can bring the beautiful installations to the streets for the public to enjoy,“ said Klandorf.

The city government has currently not cancelled all public events organized by the city but it only green-lights events at which a safe and contactless distance between people can be guaranteed and which do not increase the number of passengers on public transport.

COVID-19 cases currently number 178 in Tallinn and Harju County, most of them in the capital city, according to data by the Health Board. In order to curb the growing threat of the coronavirus, Tallinn schools began dispersing students and partially switching to distance learning where needed from Monday.

Sections: