Tallinn will join the World Tourism Cities Federation

In February, Tallinn will join the international network of tourism cities, the World Tourism Cities Federation.

The organisation was founded in 2012 by 58 tourism cities at the initiative of the city of Beijing. Today, the organisation has 211 members, comprising of 140 cities and 71 organisations directly or indirectly linked with tourism (tour operators, airlines, media organisations). The members of WTCF in our region include Helsinki, Riga, Copenhagen, and Saint Petersburg.

Membership of the organisation provides Tallinn with the opportunity to present Tallinn as an attractive tourism destination city through the website of WTCF, its social media accounts (WeChat, Weibo), and the Chinese media organisations that are part of WTCF. In addition, this enables us to exchange experiences and best practices with other world tourism cities, make direct contacts with Chinese travel operators, and participate in training programmes focusing on Chinese travel behaviour. Members of the organisation also have access to the latest tourism-related research focusing on urban tourism, outbound Chinese tourism, and tourism potential.

In terms of travel expenses, Chinese outbound tourists are the biggest spenders in the world since 2012. China’s share of the global tourism market has also grown rapidly. In 2017, Chinese tourists made 145 million foreign trips (+6%), of which 69 million trips (+5%) were made to Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan, and 76 million trips (+10%) elsewhere (source: COTRI).

In the 11 months of 2018, approximately 16,000 Chinese stayed in accommodation establishments in Tallinn, which represents 1 per cent of the total number of foreign tourists staying at the city’s accommodation establishments. The number of Chinese travelling to Tallinn grew by 1 per cent. Chinese people spent approximately 25,000 nights in accommodation establishments (a 2% increase). Based on mobile positioning data, we also know that in the 11 months, around 20,000 Chinese visited Tallinn for a day trip.