Admission to first grades
All children living in Tallinn according to the Estonian Population Register are guaranteed a school place in a municipal school.
Schooling is compulsory for a child who turns 7 by October 1st.
In determining a child's school of residence, Tallinn Education Department primarily takes into account the proximity of the student's place of residence to the school and the enabling of siblings to study in the same school. If possible, parents' requests are taken into account.
If there are more children living in the area of a school than there are places in the school, the time of entering the residence data of the persons in the population register may be taken into account, giving preference to those whose entry in the register is earlier.
See the schools closest to your place of residence here.
How to apply
An application for the admission to first grade at a school of residence can be submitted from 1 to 15 March.
The application may be submitted from 1st of March:
- Via eKool (guide / video guide to becoming an eKool user and filling in an application)
NB! The eSchool application page is not open until March 1.
- On paper at Tallinn Education Department (Estonia pst 5a, 3rd floor)
Mon: 08.15-18.00, Tue-Thu: 08.15-17.00, Fri: 08.15-15.45
Based on the recommendation of Innove Rajaleidja, the child with special needs can attend Lasnamäe Basic School, Ristiku Basic School, Kadaka Basic School, Tallinn Laagna Nursery-Basic School, Tallinn Helen School and Tallinn Tondi School.
- March 1st - 15th - applying via eKool or in written form at Tallinn Education Department;
- By May 20th Tallinn Education Department will notify the parents about the catchment area school via eKool by e-mail or the child's address according to the Population Register;
- By June 10th the parent has to inform the school whether the child will attend the school or not;
- From June 11th all who wish may apply for the vacant positions directly to the schools.
The parent of a child below the compulsory school age has to submit both the application and the kindergarten's evaluation or the Innove Rajaleidja recommendation about the suitability for school. To get the evaluation, the parent must contact the child's kindergarten, or in case of staying at home, the council committee for children.
Waiver of assignment
If the child is a resident of Tallinn according to the Estonian Population Register, but does not start studying in the first grade of a Tallinn municipal school, the parent must inform the designated school, make a corresponding notice in eKool or inform the Tallinn Education Board via the appropriate form or contact below.
Tel: 640 4590