800 years since first mention of Tallinn: Queen of Denmark to open joint exhibition and rose garden

800 years since first mention of Tallinn: Queen of Denmark to open joint exhibition and rose garden Today the Queen of Denmark Margrethe II attended the opening of an exhibition in the Kiek in de Kök Fortifications Museum and a queen’s rose garden designed according to the colours of the Danish flag in Komandandi aed (Commander's Garden) to celebrate the 800th anniversary of Dannebrog and the first mention of Tallinn.

The rose garden is a joint project of the city and the Danish Embassy.  The Danish Cultural Institute and the Danish-Estonian Chamber of Commerce bestowed 800 rose plants and 8 classical Copenhagen style park benches on the City of Tallinn. The city undertook to plant the roses and renovate the entire Komandandi aed. “This garden which signifies good relations between Denmark and Estonia and their shared history will commemorate Her Majesty’s visit,” said the Mayor of Tallinn Mihhail Kõlvart and expressed hope that Tallinn will take good care of the roses so that the locals and tourists could have a symbolic place to visit again.

The Mayor congratulated the citizens of Tallinn on the 800th anniversary of Tallinn’s first mention and noted that Tallinn’s long history enriches its present day too.
The publication “Dannebrog 800. Taani ja Eesti lugu” (“Dannebrog 800. The story of Denmark and Estonia”) was released on the occasion of opening the exhibition. The joint exhibition was developed in cooperation between the Tallinn City Museum and the Danish Museum of National History in Frederiksborg to celebrate the 800th anniversary of the first mention of Tallinn and the Battle of Lyndanisse of 15 June 1219. The Danish victory in that battle was the starting point of Danish reign in Northern Estonia. Later the Battle of Lyndanisse became associated with a known legend about Dannebrog - a flag that fell from the sky and the current national flag of Denmark.
The exhibition provides an overview of the battle and the preceding events as well as the periods of Danish reign in Estonia - 1219-1227 and 1238-1346 - and the crowned heads ruling Denmark at the time. The exhibition provides an overview of the Order of the Dannebrog, and the use of Dannebrog and the symbol of three lions in the heraldry of Tallinn and Estonia.
The exhibition opened in the basement of Neitsitorn (Mägdeturm) features the Danish flag bestowed on the City of Tallinn in 1922 by the representatives of the Danish National Association Danmarks Samfundet for the purpose of strengthening historical ties between Denmark and Estonia. The exhibition about the legend of Dannebrog in Estonian art and the Danish symbols in Estonian heraldry will remain permanently in the vaulted cellar of Neitsitorn.
It will be open until May 2020.