Tallinn Marathon brings about extensive traffic changes in the capital. Road users in the center of the city, Põhja-Tallinn and Kalamaja area are advised to avoid those parts of the city on the evening of the 8th and the whole day on the 9th of September, if possible.
Event traffic and downloadable traffic
From 7th-9th of September 2018, Estonia's largest national
sporting event, Tallinn Marathon is taking place, with the
first-time participation of more than 22,000 people from more
than 60 countries.
The safe organizing of an event of this magnitude will bring
about significant changes in the capital's traffic, which will
inevitably lead to traffic jams and complete
standstills. The traffic is closed or severely disturbed
on the race route and in the vicinity of the race, so when
driving near the race route, people should be patient and take
into account the time delays or pick an alternative route to
reach their destination. Drivers must carefully monitor traffic
signs and observe the signals and recommendations of traffic
Area residents, road users, and pedestrians will be asked to
familiarize themselves with the traffic information and traffic
patterns early on. If possible, it is recommended to plan all
related activities for the off-times and to be very attentive
on competition days.
IMPORTANT INFO FOR ROAD USERS DURING THE EVENT:
Friday, 7th of September, 2018
19:00 NIKE YOUTH RACE 5 km
On Friday, 7th of September, at 19:00, a short-term traffic
suspension will be enforced to start the Nike Noortejooks, in
the direction towards the town on Kaarli Boulevard, on Toompea
Street and Falgi Road. Traffic will be opened immediately after
the start and when runners have passed.
In order to let the runners pass, traffic is suspended on the
following street sections:
- From Kaarli Avenue towards the city from 18:55 to 19:05
- Toompea and Falgi St. from 19:00 to 19:10
- Nunne St. (near the Baltic station) 19:10-19:30
- People should be attentive near Shnelli Park and Tornide
Square light traffic roads and in the Old Town of Tallinn
between 19:00 and 20:00.
Saturday, September 8th, 2018
17:00 SÜGISJOOKS/FALL RACE 10km
On Saturday, September 8th, there are significant changes in
traffic in the center of the city and Kalamaja in order to
organize the ten-kilometer long Sügisjooks.
- The traffic on the Freedom Square side of Kaarli Blvd. is
closed from 16:55 and 17:15 for the start of the 10km run.
Public transport is waiting on the Estonian Boulevard.
- Pärnu Highway from Viru Square to the Estonian Boulevard is
closed on all lanes from 16:45 to 17:15. Public transport has
been suspended for a short time until runners have passed.
Tram traffic is stopped for lines 1 and 2 from 16:30 to
- Tram traffic on routes 3 and 4 on Pärnu road section is
stopped from 16:45 to 17:15
Mere Blvd. and Rannamäe Road are closed from 16:45 to
- Suurtüki Street is closed for traffic from 16:55 to 17:30.
- Traffic is closed or severely disturbed between 17 and 19
in Põhja-Tallinn (Kopli and Tööstuse Streets) and near Kalamaja
(Kalaranna, Kalasadama and Kultuurikatel).
During the event, the exit route from Kalamaja will be
Niine St.-Põhja Blvd.-Suurtüki St.-Toompuiestee (except from
16:55 to 17:30).
- Suur Ranavärav is closed from 16:45 to 19:10. Traffic is
directed to the seaside fork of the road.
The Old Town (Viru Street, Vana turg, Kuninga Street,
Harju Street) is closed from 17:30 to 19:30.
Sunday, September 9, 2018
09:00 MARATHON 42.2km
10:45 HALF MARATHON 21.1 km
In order to organize the marathon and the half-marathon on
Sunday, 9th of September, that start at 10.45 am, traffic
changes will come into effect, in Rocca al Mare, Põhja-Tallinn,
and the city center
- Kaarli Blvd. and the area surrounding Freedom Square is
closed for the starts of the 21km half-marathon and 42km
marathon from 08:55-09:10 and 10:40-11:00, public transport
will be suspended until the runners have passed
- Pärnu Highway from Viru Square to the Estonian Blvd. is
closed on all lanes from 08:45 to 09:10 and from 10:40-11:00.
Public transport has been suspended for a short time until
runners have passed
Mere Blvd. and Rannamäe Road are closed from 08:30 to
Tram traffic on lines 1 and 2 is suspended from 08:00 to
- Traffic in Kalamaja (near Kalaranna, Kalasadama, and
Kultuurikatel) is temporarily suspended or disturbed on Sunday
morning between 08:50 to 09:50.
During the event, on Sunday, the Kalamaja area can be
reached through the direction of Põhja Blvd.-Ahtri (except
from 08:50 to 09:30)
- Kopli St. and Põhja Blvd. (Soo and Kopli section) are
closed from 09:10 to 15:45
The traffic on Telliskivi, Ristiku and Heina St. is closed
or severely disturbed from 09:15 to 11:30
- Toompuiestee is closed for traffic for a short period from
10:45 to 11:20
- Kolde pst is closed from 09:25 to 11:55
The traffic of Sõle St. and Kolde Blvd. is severely
disturbed from 09:30 to 11:45. TRAFFIC JAM!
- Pelguranna St. is closed from 09:30 to 13:30
- Lahepea St. and Soodi St. are closed from 09:35 to 11:10
- Paldiski Road’s direction exiting the city is closed from
Lahepea St. to the Estonian Open Air Museum from 09:30 to 11:30
City buses are allowed to pass
- Vabaõhumuuseumi Road from Lillevälja Road to Lõuka Street
is closed from 09:40 to 11:40
- Seaside light traffic roads from the Open Air Museum to the
Stroomi beach are closed for road users from 09:30 to 13:30
Traffic is closed in Põhja-Tallinn (Kopliranna, Ankru,
Sepa, Maleva streets) from 10:15 to 14:15
Paljassaare Road is closed from 10:30 to 15:15
- The Old Town (Viru St., Vana turg, Kuninga and Harju St.)
is closed from 08:00 to 16:00
The traffic of the seaport will be directed to Narva Road
and via Petrooleum, Jõe, and Ahtri streets.
- Traffic may be disturbed near the running route for the
installation and removal of traffic control devices.
Traffic during the event is organized by licensed regulators.
The run is enforced by the police, security guards and track
judges. Residents, emergency vehicles and the transport of
local authorities are allowed to pass in accordance with the
situation, as assessed by the regulators and the decisions and
In case of additional traffic issues, those in need can contact
the specialists by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: +372