Welcome to Tallinn Sydalinna School’s webpage!
Since 2013, our school has been named Tallinna Südalinna Kool (Tallinn Sydalinna School). In 2016 we celebrated our school’s 50th birthday as it was opened in 1966. Since fall of 2015, the school became a Basic School (students are 7-15 years old) with 373 students in 17 class sets. In fall 2017 we had about 440 students and 30 teachers. Our school is a public school and learning in our school takes place in Estonian. We have a beautiful and renovated building in the city center.
Our school slogan: AB IMO PECTORE! - with all my heart
We also use the slogan: Homey school at the heart of the city
Vision: A good learning environment in the school, which supports the development of each child.
Mission: To ensure the best education for each student according to their abilities.
Sydalinna School’s core values:
- Our school spirit
- Collaboration between the school and home
- Active and healthy lifestyles
- Interest towards learning and creativity
Tallinn Board of Education's acknowledgements for our school:
- Best school website 2013 (Now we have already new website from October 2017)
- Innovative act „Robootikaring“ (Robotics) 2013
- Safe school 2013
- Nominee for best good deed of the year 2013
- Best personnel project in educational facility 2014
- Best school with a good study environment 2015
- IT innovation contest nominee „Idea of digital 2015“
- Best cooperation project of German (IT supported solution) Scrabble competition for Estonian schools
- Best personnel project in educational facility 2017
- Educational department acknowledgements for #EduInnoLab Augumented and virtual reality studio 2017
- Estonian Education Ministry contest "Best school of the year 2018" finalist
- Educational department acknowledgements for "Acknowledmental school 2018"
- Educational department acknowledgements for "Educational Innovation 2018. Theme: Learner`s school day design."
- Educational department acknowledgement for "Best health project 2019"
- Educational department acknowledgement for "Educational Innovation 2019. Inclusive education."
- Tallinn city acknowledgement for "Best youth project 2019. Kogupäevakool (Integration of formal and informal education.)
Tallinn Board of Education's acknowledgements for our teachers:
- Best class teacher (2015)
- Best basic school teacher (2014 and 2016)
- Best youth recreation leader (2014)
- Best school leader (2017) (also nominee of best school leader in Estonia 2017)
If you want to visit us and get to know more about our school then write to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you want your child to start learning in our school then write to email@example.com (1st-3rd grade) or firstname.lastname@example.org (4th-9th grade)
3rd grade - Folk dancing at our Christmas party
4th grade - Song, dance and flute playing at our Christmas concert for parents
More information about our school
Our school is "long day school". It means that academical learning and after school activities are connected. Also our school daily plan is different. For example we have every day 2-4 outdoor breaks and dance/basketball breaks between lessons. Our children can be in school every day until 5 pm. They have club for homeworks and different hobby groups.
Our students are learning English starting from grade 1, Russian or German starting from grade 6.
All 1st grade students begin with digital learning and robotics as part of their curriculum.
We have a future classroom (3D printer, TV, Smart-board, I-pads, new and flexible furniture, virtual reality etc) as of 2015.
Future classroom - innovative furniture and IT technology for learning
Formative assessment is used with primary school students (grades 1-3).
Our students wear school uniform every day.
1st grade students at September 1st public ceremony
Sometimes our learners have digital learning days, when they do not attend school and they receive and submit independent assignments via Internet.
The last day of each trimester is a project day for the whole school.
Each day our students spend at least one 20-minute break in our schoolyard, where they can play football or ride a bicycle, etc.
In our school, there are over 20 different after school activities (sport, music, dance, art, mind games, etc). Many of the activities are free of charge.
School also offers an after school programme until 5 pm and after that children can stay in school if they take part in any of the several trainings we offer. They also can do all homeworks with teacher on after school programm, which is free of charge.
Often our school organizes various events, such as handicrafts workshops, concerts and sports activities for our students’ families.
Foreign language week - 8th grade theatre performance in German
1st grade - programming robots in a math lesson
Sports day for families at the school stadium
Mathable and Scrabble competition in the school ceremonial hall
Winter sports like skiing and skating are part of the school day in winter time
Foreign language week - 6th grade dance and song performance in Russian
Cooking competition for boys in our school cooking class
8th grade on a canoeing trip